Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Rebound

Today started out terribly. I sat down to a couple 2/4 tables and the carnage began. I started off by getting into a pretty sizeable pot against a very aggressive player. I had top pair and had the sense to check the river behind. He had a set. I then go involved in another hand with him and 3 other players. In this hand I called prf on the button behind him with 66. The flop was A 8 6 with two hearts. Bink. Myself and the aggro player ended up getting in on the flop and he had 88. Sonofa....he left shortly after. I then got top two in against bottom set, had to fold QQ on a T 9 x board to a check/raise, etc. It was a pretty shitty hour of poker. I found myself down two buyins ($800) pretty quickly and left before any sort of tilt set in.

I dicked around for a few hours until things got quiet around the house, then fired up UB once again. The 2/4 and 3/6 games weren't really active, in fact there wasn't one 3/6 game going. I looked up at the 5/10 and saw some sick juicy action games with players (donkeys) I recognized from 2/4. Well that settles it. 5/10 it is. I sat down and within the first 30 minutes had doubled on a table with KK against QQ. Tough luck for the other guy. I stayed pretty stagnant the rest of the session and never was up or down anymore than $200 from my original double up on both tables combined. The games started getting more solid as the donkeys left so I decided to step back down to my normal stakes as I don't really want to play 5/10 SH against solid players when there are so many better games to play. I ended up doing pretty well on both my 2/4 and 3/6 tables and ended up $700 total for the day after the $800 loss earlier. Pretty pleased with my tilt control and overall demeanor.

There was one very interesting hand and I honestly didn't really know what the right play would be. Would like to hear comments on this one.

Care2Tango is at seat 0 with $1034.
jmxthievez1 is at seat 1 with $1549.75.
Killer_O is at seat 2 with $200.
lvnoffsklskyb is at seat 3 with $2411.
Gookman is at seat 4 with $3260.75.
feelnlucky is at seat 5 with $985.
The button is at seat 5.

Care2Tango posts the small blind of $5.
jmxthievez1 posts the big blind of $10.

Care2Tango: -- --
jmxthievez1: -- --
lvnoffsklskyb: Td Qd
Gookman: -- --
feelnlucky: -- --

Pre-flop:

lvnoffsklskyb raises to $35.
Gookman calls.
feelnlucky folds.
Care2Tango folds.
jmxthievez1calls.

Flop (board: Qs 6s 4h):

jmxthievez1 checks.
lvnoffsklskyb bets $85.
Gookmancalls.
jmxthievez1 calls.

Turn (board: Qs 6s 4h Jd):

jmxthievez1 checks.
lvnoffsklskyb bets $225.
Gookman folds.
jmxthievez1 goes all-in for $1429.75.
lvnoffsklskyb folds.
jmxthievez1 is returned$1204.75 (uncalled).


I think overall this is a pretty conservative fold honestly. I didn't have a ton of info on jmx tho so I wasn't very sure as to what he would do this with. It sure does look like a combo draw of some sort though. I mean, what Q would he do this with besides QJ? He called prf, then called the flop after a bet and a call from a huge calling station (gookman). I highly doubt he has a set or KQ/AQ here. QJ was really the only Q I could think he would logically have, but sometimes these games are so nuts you see some sort of retarded 46s hand or something. I decided to wait for a better spot as I hadn't really seen jmx get out of line a lot. I don't know. I actually think looking at this in hindsight this is a call. I can't really see what he has that beats me here, but in the heat of the moment I guess I was thinking, "Im not playing such a huge pot against such a massive check/shove here with QT. Meh. Still not sure.

3 comments:

lucko said...

I was thinking about this hand again, such a tough spot.

lucko said...

It almost has to be QJ I think.

Chris said...

He could definitely slow play a set on the flop too. People get really committed to trapping with sets, and he might think he's got a chance to stack Gookman with just a queen. He might also think you're betting the turn with any overpair too.

With two callers, I don't like betting the turn. The J is uniquely ugly, but I can't really think you're beating two guys on the turn enough to give up pot control.