Tuesday, August 7, 2007

A New Day

Today went very well I'm happy to say (minus one incident I'll get into later). I ended up $2,600 on the cash tables at UB playing 3/6. The games are very soft there and I really enjoy playing at UB. The only thing I really have a problem with there is the hand histories. They're very hard to check after the hand while you're playing a couple tables and I wish they would fix that.

I had a couple interesting hands today with one hand kind of confusing me as to the best play. Here it is:

lvnoffsklskyb is at seat 1 with $2219.15.
D_Blake is at seat 2 with $962.60.
BluHorseshoe is at seat 3 with $692.
The button is at seat 1.
D_Blake posts the small blind of $3.
BluHorseshoe posts the big blind of $6.

lvnoffsklskyb: Jc Js
D_Blake: -- --
BluHorseshoe: -- --

Pre-flop:
lvnoffsklskyb raises to $21.
D_Blake calls.
BluHorseshoe folds.

Flop (board: 3c 3s 5c):

D_Blake checks.
lvnoffsklskyb bets $34.50.
D_Blakeraises to $120.
lvnoffsklskyb calls.

Turn (board: 3c 3s 5c 8h):

D_Blake bets $399.
lvnoffsklskyb folds.
D_Blake isreturned $399 (uncalled).

Now, this may seem like an odd fold at first glance and to be honest I'm still not 100% sure about it. But in poker you're really never 100% sure about anything, so I'm OK with that. We are of course only concerned about long term profit and what the best play will be over the long haul. Now my read on this guy was that he was pretty much a loose cannon pre-flop, however, once the flop came out and he got action, he wasn't messing around. If he was playing a big pot, he had a hand. On this hand, he check/raised the flop, then overbet the turn. I will concede that there are definitely hands in his range he would do this with that I beat, but based on my read of his post-flop play and given the fact that I had no FE and no chance of keeping the pot small, I decided to let it go. I think he shows up here with a better hand a lot and I think that even if I had him he probably had a lot of outs to beat me. I think at worst here he has probably 99 or a flush draw that possibly paired on the flop or turn. Not to mention the fact that this guy also calls raise pre-flop OOP with big hands occasionally so we can't rule out QQ+. I'll look at it more in depth later and I suspect that if I plugged it into pokerstove I would have a good amount of equity in this situation, but I think that my fold is correct given my read. Would love to hear opinions on it.

My mishap of the day occured this afternoon. I was playing two seperate tables on UB and had KQs on one and AQo on another. I re-raised both pre-flop from the small blind against pretty aggressive players that raised in LP. Both players on both tables called. On one table the flop was all rags, something like 7 5 2 and I led out. I was called and the turn was an ace which was a money card for me because this guy was stacking off weak aces like it was his job and I was fully convinced he would call me here with bare ace high. I led again and he insta-shoved. I pretty much beat him into the pot and the river was a Q. He showed AK and I was thinking, "wow he had a hand, unlucky for him" as the pot slid his way. I quickly checked the board for flushes and saw none, so obviously I was now a bit annoyed at the pot sliding to him. I then looked at my other table and saw AQ on my monitor. Fuck. I just called an all in on the turn for an $1,800 pot with K high. Bah. Moral of the story: look at your cards before calling an all in. :)

No comments: