Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Marathon Man

Just finished a 16 hour straight session between live and online. I feel like shit. Tonight my buddy Mark spread a 5/10 game at "The Depot" as we call it. It's basically an old auto repair shop that he refurbished inside and has room for 4 full tables, a pool table, ping pong, plasmas all over the place including an enormous one in the middle of the room with an Xbox, and a full bar area. For a game in SC, this place is where it's at. Always nice to know the right people.

Anyway, I think if I could play one game the rest of my life, it would be Greenville, SC 5/10NL. The play is so mind numblingly atrocious I sometimes have to act like I'm coughing after hands to not giveaway the fact I'm about to break out into laughter. It's like LOL, except in real life. This game is actually kinda weird in that you have to literally play poorly to win in these games. For instance, there are 4 limpers in front of you. Normally online, I would be raising a wide range here, but when I see something like 67s, I auto muck. Why? Well because these guys are playing stuff like J7 consistently, and they will limp call any raise you make. 4 limpers you make it $60, ur getting 4 callers for a $240 pot. Now ur in a huge pot where no one is gonna fold anything with 67s. I know it sounds weird and I probably didn't explain it very well since Ive been up for more than 24 hours, but trust me, you have to play "bad" in a sense to beat these games. Unfortunately for me, I didn't play bad enough tonight and I lost about $400. Im happy with my play though, I thought I played extremely well. I lost one of the biggest pots I played the whole night against a drunk guy with AJ on an A 2 4 flop. He had A3 and we got it all in on the flop. Turn is an auto 5. NH.

Came home from live and settled down into a couple tables on Absolute. For those of you not playing on Absolute, I highly recommend it. The play is among the worst I've seen online. At most of the bigger sites, a lot of players have adapted an optimal style of playing where if they enter a pot they raise, they 3 bet a lot in and out of the blinds and basically make life miserable for any player trying to take over the table. Not so at Absolute. There's evidently a limp/fold epidemic on that site, not to mention the atrocious postflop play. Tonight, I had KdKh on a J 5 6 3 diamond flop. This guy had been playing incredibly poorly, so I had pretty much decided on the flop that no matter the action I was going nowhere. I just felt his range was going to be too wide against me for me to make any sort of good fold here. I bet almost the pot on the flop and he calls. The turn is the 8 of hearts. He checks and I bet half his stack. He c/r all in. Now of course I have to call, but Im figuring to be up against at least some sort of combo draw with the ace if not a flopped flush. The guy felts A7 of spades. NH. You just can't really find players that bad on the major sites anymore for the most part. It may have something to do with my playing so early in the morning (started my session around 6:30AM), but I haven't seen a play like that (OK, I have, but very few and far between) since the old Party days. These guys were doing this as a habit. One guy was shoving $600 in prf after another raised $12. He did this like 15 times. It was amazing. I started the session up about $600 in the first hour, swung down to where I was down $800 overall and then ended the session up $1K for the night. So with my live losses I'm hovering right around $600 profit for the day.

You know, everytime I go to play live I kinda regret it just because Im about 1,000 times the player online than I am live, but I really can't help myself. It's not everyday you get to play people willing to stack off $2K pots with trash. I actually am pretty convinced I am running like total shit in the games. I've given it a lot of thought and think I have adjusted my game properly, it's just a matter of not getting coolered (My two biggest pots lost have been middle set to top set and A9 on a 9 9 J flop to J9) and not getting sucked out on. My buddy that deals and I have a running joke now it's gotten so bad. The joke isn't really funny, so Im not gonna try to tell it, but basically it's just a joke about how badly I run in the games...SO.....that being said this was a terrible blog entry and I apologize. Next one will be better I promise. I have a lot of shit going down in the next couple weeks. I need to get both my houses rented out as Ive been stuck with both mortgage payments for a month. Both houses need to have some work done on the walls, etc. Im super lazy so I've been putting it off, but it's like flushing money down the toilet, so I have to get off my ass and do it.

2 comments:

lucko said...

That game is rigged. I said it from the start.

NFulton said...

So did I.